Friday, February 21, 2014

Valentine's Day / 100th Day of School Fun!

Last Friday was not only Valentine's Day, but also our 100th day of first grade!  Unfortunately, I was not able to attend school that day, due to a family death, but my-oh-my did the kiddos have a blast.  I love to incorporate things that I did in elementary school.  The memories at Jefferson Elementary are some of my fondest.  So, one thing we did to prepare for this day, was make the ever-famous Jefferson Valentine's Day mailboxes!  What a great way to let the kids be creative.  I simply give them a shoe box and art supplies and tell them to make their mailbox.  There was glitter EVERYWHERE!!  The kids loved it though!  On Friday then, the students were able to mail their valentines in the appropriate mailboxes.  We also had fun making graph with candy hearts and eating cookies with our third grade buddies!
For the 100th day of first grade we had a great time working on a book that gave us different prompts, such as what you will look like when you are 100, what you would do with 100 dollars, and a list of things you would want 100 of.  Then, with our third grade buddies, the kids created a picture that incorporated the numbers 1-0-0.  I had the students take it home that day, so I didn't see most of them, but one that was forgotten used the zeros as eyes and the 1 as a mouth and created a face.  WHAT A BLAST!!!  I can't wait to do this all again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment