Friday, February 21, 2014

Tips for a Somewhat NEW teacher....with the special education process

HELP!

I am really struggling with how long the special education referral process takes.  I have a student who needs one-on-one help in language arts.  Teachers that worked with the student in the past have said he/she will for sure qualify for special education.  BUT, here it is FEBRUARY and the process is just beginning.  I started the interventions a month after school started, just so I could get a feel of where this student was at and what interventions would be the most appropriate.  I filed my paperwork when the timeframe was complete of the interventions.  Now, I am finding out the evaluation process will not be done until the end of March.  Here is my call for help out to all of you EXPERIENCED teachers..... HOW DO I GET THIS TO HAPPEN FASTER NEXT TIME?!  By the time this little love qualifies, second grade will be starting.  That's great and all, but now they missed all of first grade without the necessary help they needed.  Maybe this is just how it is, but I want to make sure!

From,
An Antsy First Grade Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment